Town of Macedon Police Department
- Stay alert.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Watch for loiterers or cruising cars.
- Report suspicious activity to the police immediately.
- Never leave your purse unattended, even in a vehicle, shopping cart, restaurant or counter.
- Always keep your purse closed.
- Carry small amounts of cash in your purse. Carry only the necessary cards and cash on your person.
- When driving keep all doors locked and windows up.
- If you feel someone is following you, go to the nearest occupied building or area and ask for help.
- If you are confronted with a dangerous situation yell "FIRE, FIRE, HELP!"
- Always lock your house when you are not home and leave a light on. Also lock up when you are going to be in an
area of the house that you may not hear someone come in the house.
- Don't leave a key to your house above the door, under the mat or any other obvious place.
- Approach your car with the key in your hand, look around inside the car before getting in.
- Always try to park in an attached lot in a well-lit area, backing in your vehicle.
- Do not leave packages or personal items in open view in a vehicle. Place them in a lockable area of the
vehicle, like the trunk.
- Never pickup hitchhikers or strangers.
- If you have a flat tire in an area you feel is unsafe, try to keep driving slowly until you reach an
occupied public area for help or stay in your vehicle and call 911.
- If you ride public transportation, try to get a seat next to the driver.
- Observe elevator interiors before entering. When riding alone stand near the control panel. If accosted,
press all buttons.
- Don't travel "off the beaten path" alone. Remember, "Strength in numbers".
- Never leave drinks unattended. If you feel ill after consuming your drink, get with a friend and ask them
to get you to a doctor.
- Place dead bolts on outer doors.
- When away for travel, stop all deliveries and use a timer. Notify your local Police Department for property checks.
- Trust a neighbor or family member with a key to check the property while you are away.
For other health and safety tips,
- Don't run with headphones on. It causes you to be less aware of surroundings and puts you at a greater
risk of injury, accident or attack.
- Don't run after dark.
- Don't run in unfamiliar or unpopulated areas.
- Don't run the same route everyday.
- Run with a partner or dog.
- Tell someone where you're running and when you will be back.
- Wear reflective clothing.
- Bring a cell phone if possible.
- Bring your identification with you.
- Use intuition about a person or place.